- FDI: U.S. Luxury Real Estate Courts the Chinese Buyer – WSJ.com
- Finance: China Said to Propose Limits on Local Government Loans – Bloomberg — China’s banking regulator proposed keeping a cap on local government loans to curtail defaults while encouraging funding for railways, roads and affordable homes, a person with direct knowledge of the matter said.
- Transitions: China party shuffle begins ahead of leadership change | Reuters — Guo Jinlong, 64, the capital’s mayor since 2008 and a Hu ally, is tipped to replace Liu Qi, 69, as Beijing party boss at the municipal party congress that opened on Friday, the sources with ties to the leadership told Reuters, requesting anonymity because of the political sensitivity of leadership changes.
- South China Sea: A manic-depressive day in the Chinese internet media: Aquino’s threat, Vietnam’s…
- China Criticizes Vietnam in Dispute Over Islands – NYTimes.com
- U.S. Congress: Don’t punish Chinese restrictions with more restrictions —Committee to Protect Journalists opposes a U.S. House measure under consideration that would restrict visas for Chinese journalists as “reciprocity” for China’s media policies.
- Hu sets out vision for US ties — China Daily story. Very few details. From G20 meeting with Obama.
- Hillary Clinton: Chen affair showed level of US-China trust — ‘Clinton told the event that “the fact that we had this strategic dialogue. that I was on my way there … had everybody invested in trying to work through whatever the difficulties were.
“In the end I think it showed a level of confidence and trust in the good faith of each side that enabled us to work through,” she added.’
Transpacifica is primarily written by Graham Webster (@gwbstr), a fellow researching U.S.–China Relations at the Yale Law School China Center. Here, since 2006, I write about East Asian politics mostly in China and Japan, the Internet and society, the environment, and contemporary art. Unavoidably, I sometimes veer off topic—even with a topic as large as the Pacific.
I speak only for myself and do not represent any of these things I'm affiliated with:
• Fellow on U.S.–China Relations, The China Center, Yale Law School
• Adjunct Instructor, Center for Global Affairs, New York University
• Contributor, 八八吧 :: 88 Bar
- Cybersecurity as ‘pivot’ version two? A policy narrative for media-friendly U.S.–China relations
- Japanese constitutional revision, and welcoming Tobias Harris and Observing Japan back to blogville
- How China’s government escalates warnings before military action
- Among China expats today, echoes of Orwell’s time in Burma?
- Evaluating 3 key recommendations of the Blair-Huntsman IP Commission report
This work by Transpacifica is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.